Monday, March 26, 2012

week 25

new veggie this month! eggplant baby!


average size: 13.6 to 14.8 inches, 1.5 to 2.2 lbs.
what's going on with baby: "Baby is now pretty well built portion wise even though it still has little body fat and its skin is thin. The structures of the spine begin to form -- All 33 rings, 150 joints and 1000 ligaments. The tiny brain is growing rapidly, and the baby is starting to fill the space in your uterus. Your baby can make a fist and clasp objects placed in palm. Exploring the structures inside your uterus may have become baby's prime entertainment."

...well i hope it's interesting inside there for ya, baby. hahaha...

we had our doctor appointment last thursday and everything is still going well :) she measured my fundus, and it was about 23.5" which is on track because she said that it grows about an inch per week. also, our little girl's heartrate was around 150 and sounded great. all good news! 

i also asked about some pubic bone pain that i've been having. for about a month, i've noticed that it hurts right on my pubic bone when i go to stand up, or switch sides in the middle of the night, etc. it didn't start off that bad, but it's gotten worse (and it's DEFINITELY worse if i overwork myself in a day). my midwife said that it's an annoying, but common problem that pregnant women have. she explained how the cartilage in between the two pieces of the joining pubic bone can shift/separate which is where the pain is coming from. here is an example of a normal pelvis:


and here is showing what is happening to mine:


it's pretty painful on some days, and getting out of bed one morning erik and i even heard a "POP" happen in some sort of joint in there lol...so i'm trying to take it easy. my midwife didn't give this problem a name, but after googling it a bunch, it looks like it's called symphysis pubis dysfunction:

she basically said there isn't much i can do, unfortunately. just take it easy. i just really hope it doesn't get worse!!! it stinks because it's connected to so many other bones, so since it's shifting, everything else is shifting too, so i get more lower back pain than usual.

also, they gave me THIS for next time!


the glucose test. basically what i do is drink this whole orange bottle within 5 minutes (1 hour before my doctor's appointment), and when i go in to my appointment, they will draw blood and test my levels of sugars to see if i have gestational diabetes. if my levels are higher than whatever defined value they have for the test, i have to do a 3 HOUR test, instead of a one hour test, so i'm really hoping my levels come back normal!!! i've heard both things about this orange drink: you're either okay with it, or you HATE it hahaha...so i'm interested to see how this goes. i've been told it's better cold, so it's in the refrigerator for a month :)

actually, our next appointment is sort of a crazy day! i have this timed glucose test, then right afterwards we have another ultrasound (to check on my placenta and see if it's moved away from my cervix more), then after all THAT, we see my midwife for a regular monthly checkup, so it will be a busy day! but i'm excited to see our little girl on the screen again :) 

this past weekend was really fun! friday, i drove out to my parents' house to spend the night because at 8am the next morning, there was a HUGE pta sale where other moms rent booths and sell all their kid's toys/clothes/etc for super cheap! my mom had gone to these before, but i didn't really know what to expect (besides the fact that everything is so cheap!). omg. this place was PACKED. we got there at about 7:45 to wait in line, and there were probably at least 100 people there already! luckily, there are SO many booths in the gymnasium, that it's not like a black friday scenario or anything. there is PLENTY of space/booths so you don't feel like you have to rush around like a chicken with it's head cut off. 

my main goal was to get some clothes. i was thinking various sizes up to 1 year, and this was no problem to find haha...it was REALLY handy when i found a booth where the person's daughter was born around the same time, because i didn't have to really think ahead things like, "okay...size 6-9 months...for us that will be january-april...nope, this dress wont work because there will be snow outside" haha...everything was already the appropriate outfits for the right months when i found booths with a similar birthday, and seriously? most stuff was 25 cents, 50 cents, or 1 dollar per outfit!!!! it was nuts! so mom and i made out like bandits. here is what we got:


17 shirts/hoodies, 12 onesies, 10 dresses (the one on the back dresser wasn't even USED), 4 hats, 13 pajamas, 1 hooded blanket, 15 pairs of pants, and 3 shorts all for about $90-$100 total. WONDERFUL!!!! they have another sale in the fall, and we're totally going back. weird to think our little girl will be here by that point! 

my mom also looked up online where the closest maternity store was because it was definitely time for maternity jeans haha...so she took me to crocker park, and after we ate dinner, we went shopping! it was so funny because maternity jeans all really look the same (except the design on the back pocket changes), so i had like 16 pairs of dark blue jeans in the dressing room and it was starting to get a bit confusing! they had different fits and lengths though, and we found a GREAT pair. also, let me just say...maternity pants are HEAVENLY. i should have caved in and gotten them sooner, but i was stubborn with the pre-pregnancy pants/bella band combo lol...these are basically the same thing, but the "bella band" is sewn into the top of the jeans, and there is no zipper/button obviously. the material stretches more than jeans too, and they are really, really, comfy. my mom also got me some shirts! i have a few pre-pregnancy shirts that can still work because they are empire waist, but these are really colorful and fun, and will definitely grow with me as i get bigger.

i also told her that this will be the first summer i ever wear flip-flops.

backstory: i NEVER wear flip-flops or sandals. ever. i hate them. i wear socks and tennis shoes for comfort (with jeans), and it's just something i'm used to in the summer. but my mom...probably every year since i was 10 has been trying to get me to wear flip-flops or sandals hahaha...so when i told her this, her jaw dropped, and i saw a sparkle in her eye beaming with glee lol! it's getting harder to put on socks/shoes so just slipping on flip-flops is very appealing to me at this point. 5 minutes after i told her this, she comes by the dressing room saying, "i know i'm REALLY pushing my luck here but...how about you try on these capris?" another thing i dont wear because i'm just really in love with jeans all year round, but i said sure, and truthfully? they fit really nicely :) maybe they will help keep me cool if this summer is going to be super hot! so, mom was ECSTATIC by this point hahaha...and after we left the maternity store, she offered to get me a pair of flip-flops too. so nice of her!!! so we found a REALLY cute pair at DSW. here's a pic of the shirts, capris, and flip-flops she got for me (i'm wearing the jeans so they aren't in the photo, but they just look like jeans haha):


it was a wonderful weekend!!! really nice to go home and chat with my mom and dad for a while too. 

erik still hasn't for sure felt our little girl's kicks from the outside yet, but i have SEEN some kicks from the outside now, so i KNOW he would be able to feel those if he had the timing right. it just seems like whenever he puts his hand on my belly, she stops! what a stinker. 




8 comments:

  1. Wow - great finds Jacqui!I think I need to go to the next PTA sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been having pubic pain, I just complain my crotch hurts and never knew the reason so thanks! I also have the glucose test next week but I drink it at the doctor's office so doubt it will be cold :( I do plan to bring my own straw tho. Next time you hear about a sale like that please let me know! I know there's a big one next month at Berea fairgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha...was I really beaming with glee? Yeah, probably. It was such a fun weekend! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. @kalyn: yes! they are amazing!!!

    @lauren: you have the pain too? GAH. isn't it so annoying/frustrating?! good idea with bringing a straw to the dr.'s office for the glucose test! that will make it much easier on you! and i'm so sorry i didnt tell you about the sale! :( i'll definitely let you know about the next one!

    @mom: hahaha! i'd say yes! it was like you never thought you'd ever hear me say those words lol...but, i never thought i'd say them either! ;) it really was such a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun weekend, and omg look at all the clothes you got for your daughter! That is an insane amount, and they are all so cute :) How awesome that your mom took you shopping to get some new clothes, and I seriously LOLed that you never wear flip flops! Maybe you'll be convert now? ;)

    I hear you on the capris- I rarely wear them though b/c I am so short that when a pair says they're "capris" they really just look like regular pants that's a tad bit on the short side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks, sara! and haha about the flip flops! yeah, i never got into them lol...but you're right, maybe after this summer i will love them! and i didnt think about capris on shorter people! yeah i guess they probably would be longer for you, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally saw you at the baby sale. :) I scored a TON of stuff there too! There's another good sale in Lakewood on April 21. I always find good stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. brandi! i'm bummed i didn't see you! i think i was on stimulus overload with the whole thing hahaha...it was an amazing sale! glad to hear you got a ton of stuff too! and thanks for letting me know about the lakewood one, too! :D these sales are genius. everybody wins!

    ReplyDelete